Get me away
from this site!

Please visit our coronavirus page for service updates and advice on staying safe during this difficult time.

Staying safe if you have recently left your property

If you have recently left your property, the tips below can help you stay safe.

Things to consider

  • Does your new property have secure windows and doors? If not speak to GDASS or your landlord about making it more secure.
  • Avoid places where you are isolated or alone and places you used to go with the perpetrator, at least in the immediate period of separation, if possible.
  • Alter your routine as much as you can. Eg alter your working hours, walks home etc.
  • If you have any regular appointments that your partner knows about (eg hospital, doctor etc) try to change your appointment time and/or the location of the appointment.
  • Try to choose an alternative route or mode of transport when approaching or leaving places you cannot avoid (eg work/schools etc).
  • Consider informing your employer or others at your place of work – particularly if you think your partner might try to contact you there.
  • Mobile phones can be traced, so try to change your SIM card or even better get a new pay as you go phone.
  • Some mobile phones, particularly iPhones, have tracking programmes attached. Please refer to your manual or change your handset if you are not sure whether this could affect your phone.
  • If you do wish to telephone your partner, ensure it is from a number withheld phone. Dial ‘141’ before typing the number to withhold it.
  • Avoid using shared credit or debit cards because, if your partner sees the statements, it will show where you have been. Your support worker can help you open a new account if you need to.
  • Make sure your address does not appear on any court papers. Speak to your solicitor or McKenzie friend about arranging this.
  • Talk to your children about the need to keep your whereabouts confidential – especially if they are having contact with the perpetrator.
  • Ensure schools have any relevant court orders relating to the children, and a photograph of the perpetrator if they have been told by a court that they are not to have contact.