Having an emergency bag means that if you had to flee your house you can take some basic belongings with you easily. This reduces the need to return to the property when it may not be safe to do so.
Here’s what to pack
- Some form of identification. Passports, Visas and work permits.
- Money, savings books, cheque book, credit/debit cards.
- Keys for the house, car, work etc. (You could get additional keys cut and put them in your bag.)
- Child, Family Tax and any other benefit information.
- Driving licence and car registration documents.
- Prescribed medication/repeat prescription.
- Clothing and toiletries for you and the children.
- Address book and emergency contact numbers.
- Personal items (photos etc) or favourite toys for your children.
- Copies of any legal documents, eg injunctions.
Do not put yourself in danger getting these items, pack what you can, there may be opportunities to get things later on.